Lime Coconut Bars
When I was planning a menu for a luau party, I found this refreshing dessert in my mother's recipe collection. Sometimes I'll garnish each bar with a dab of whipped cream and a small slice of lime. -Mary Jane Jones, Williamstown, West Virginia
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup finely crushed crisp sugar cookies
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2-1/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons yellow cornmeal
- Pinch salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- Confectioners' sugar
- Place the crushed cookies in a bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in coconut; set aside 1 cup for topping. Press the remaining mixture into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, for filling, combine the butter, sugar, lime juice, cornmeal and salt in a heavy saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved and cornmeal is softened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks. Stir a small amount of hot lime mixture into the yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until a thermometer reads 160° and mixture coats the back of a metal spoon, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in lime zest.
- Pour over the crust; sprinkle with reserved coconut mixture. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Editor's Note: The cornmeal is used as a thickener in the filling.