Lime & Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 medium limes
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract, optional
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Toasted sweetened shredded coconut
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- 2. Finely grate, peel and squeeze juice from limes; place both in a blender. Add 1 cup coconut, coconut milk, eggs, sugar, flour, salt and, if desired, extract. Cover and process until blended. Add remaining 1 cup coconut; cover and pulse just until combined. Pour into pastry-lined pie plate (pie will be full).
- 3. Bake on a lower oven rack 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack; refrigerate until cold.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Spread over pie. Sprinkle with toasted coconut before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches): Combine 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 tsp. salt; cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 3-5 Tbsp. ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
1 piece (calculated without toasted coconut): 652 calories, 44g fat (32g saturated fat), 164mg cholesterol, 347mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.