My custard pie features two tropical flavors I love. Plus, it’s a breeze to make. I throw most of the ingredients in the blender to whip up the filling, then pour it into a purchased crust. —Mandy Rivers, Lexington, South Carolina
Featured In: 77 Tropical Recipes for a Taste-cation Anytime
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 medium limes
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract, optional
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Toasted sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- Finely grate, peel and squeeze juice from limes; place both in a blender. Add 1 cup coconut, coconut milk, eggs, sugar, flour, salt and, if desired, extract. Cover and process until blended. Add remaining 1 cup coconut; cover and pulse just until combined. Pour into pastry-lined pie plate (pie will be full).
- Bake on a lower oven rack 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack; refrigerate until cold.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Spread over pie. Sprinkle with toasted coconut before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Lime & Coconut Cream Pie in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014