Lightly Dressed Broccoli
To liven up ordinary broccoli, our Test Kitchen tops the tender spears with a special wine sauce. The light topping coats the broccoli nicely without being overpowering. Experiment by sampling the sauce on other vegetables.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh broccoli, cut into spears
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 3/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water and broccoli to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute onion and garlic in 1/4 cup butter until onions are tender. Add wine or broth; bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from the heat. Stir in cream and remaining butter.
- Drain broccoli and place in a serving bowl; drizzle with sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 215 calories, 17g fat (11g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Dressed-Up Broccoli in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2002