Lightened-Up Fudgy Brownies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir the butter and chocolate until melted. Remove from the heat; stir in sugar until blended. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine the egg whites, egg and extract; stir into chocolate mixture until blended. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking powder; gradually stir into chocolate mixture until blended.
- Transfer to a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 205 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Apr 19, 2012
Unsweetened baking chocolate (Bakers)
Jul 7, 2011
Why is this in the diabetic recipes category? And by what criteria does this rate a healthy heart rating? I don't get it.
Sep 23, 2009
I think the recipe means stir the butter and unsweetened chocolate.
Sep 10, 2009
Re the Fudgy Brownies...the direction say '...over medium heat, stir the butter and chocolate until melted.' What chocolate? I'm assuming chocolate morsels, right? How much...it's not listed under ingredients. Can you use the sugar substitute in place of regular sugar in the recipe?marybeth