Light Wheat Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, salt and yeast. In a saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to the dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Divide dough in half; shape into loaves. Place in two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator; let stand in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 92 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 152mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Oct 4, 2016
This bread did not seem to rise as it should have. I used the method suggested by the editor. I put the bread in the pans and let it rise for about one hour and then baked it. The crust was quite crusty. One question about the instructions: The directions say to knead for 6 to 8 minutes, then "cover and let rest for 20 minutes." Did this mean to leave it on the counter after kneading , cover, and then let rest for 20 minutes? Normally, after kneading bread you put it in a greased bowl.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.