Light Sweet Potato Pie
Take a bite of this classic Southern dessert and you'll never guess it's been lightened up. The pleasing pie gets great fall flavor from a hint of pumpkin spice. —Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 1 hour 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 medium)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- Bake sweet potatoes at 350° for 1 hour or until very soft. Cool slightly. Cut potatoes in half; scoop out the pulp and discard shells. Place pulp in a food processor or blender; cover and process until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the pulp, brown sugar, flour, orange zest, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and salt. Stir in milk and egg substitute until well blended. Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours. Garnish with whipped topping. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 0g sugar total.
Jun 2, 2009
I had a sweet potato pie receipefrom one of Taste of Homes magazines but can't find it. I hope this is the one I used as it was so good. I have tried other receipes but they just didn't have it. I plan to give this one a "try".Mtn. gal.