Light Oven-Fried Chicken Recipe
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- 1. In a shallow bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another shallow bowl, combine egg whites and milk. Place flour in a third shallow bowl. Coat chicken with flour; dip in the egg white mixture, then roll in cornmeal mixture.
- 2. Place in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes. Spritz with butter-flavored spray. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until chicken is golden brown and crispy and juices run clear. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 248 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 375mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Light Oven-Fried Chicken
"I tried this recipe for the first time and it tasted awful!! I could not even finish the chicken because I could stand the taste. My guests were not satisfied with this either. Sad to see that it was in their big cookbooks."
"Nice flavor, easy to make. Will save this recipe, for sure!"
"Good. I did not use the tarragon or ginger. Used parsley and garlic instead. Also used extra virgin olive oil instead of the butter flavred SPRAY."
"I thought this was good but mine came out a little dry (???). I just saw the ingredient list calls for 3 egg whites, I only used 2; maybe this was why it turned out a little dry (?) Will try again since I love fried chicken and have been looking for lighter versions."
"delicous used dried bread crumbs and added flax seed to it"