Light Oven-Fried Chicken
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- In a shallow bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another shallow bowl, combine egg whites and milk. Place flour in a third shallow bowl. Coat chicken with flour; dip in the egg white mixture, then roll in cornmeal mixture.
- Place in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes. Spritz with butter-flavored spray. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until chicken is golden brown and crispy and juices run clear.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 248 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 375mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Nov 16, 2016
I tried this recipe for the first time and it tasted awful!! I could not even finish the chicken because I could stand the taste. My guests were not satisfied with this either. Sad to see that it was in their big cookbooks.
May 15, 2015
Nice flavor, easy to make. Will save this recipe, for sure!
Dec 23, 2013
Good. I did not use the tarragon or ginger. Used parsley and garlic instead. Also used extra virgin olive oil instead of the butter flavred SPRAY.
Jul 5, 2012
I thought this was good but mine came out a little dry (???). I just saw the ingredient list calls for 3 egg whites, I only used 2; maybe this was why it turned out a little dry (?) Will try again since I love fried chicken and have been looking for lighter versions.
Aug 15, 2010
This is wonderful. The chicken was moist. Just the right amount of seasoning on the coating. And I didn't have to scrub the pan; easy clean-up. Will be making again.
Jan 9, 2010
delicous used dried bread crumbs and added flax seed to it