Light & Lemony Sorbet
Whether you offer it as a dessert or as a palate cleanser between courses, this sweet-tart sorbet will hit the spot. I recommend letting it freeze for a day in the freezer before eating. —Gwen Pratesi, Smyrna, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling. Process: 30 min. + freezing.
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pasteurized egg white
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon vodka, optional
- In a small heavy saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Transfer to a large bowl; cool completely.
- Stir in lemon juice. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- In a small bowl, beat egg white until foamy; add to cold syrup. Stir in lemon zest and, if desired, vodka. Pour into cylinder of ice cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
- Transfer sorbet to a freezer container, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm.
Nutrition Facts1/3 cup: 177 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Meyer Lemon Sorbet in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014