Light Chocolate Cake
Applesauce makes this cake moist and sweet. A dusting of confectioners' sugar over the top is all that's needed.—Celeste Clarke, Wilmot, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup egg substitute (equivalent to 2 eggs)
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Beat in egg substitute, milk, applesauce and vanilla. Add water; beat on medium for 2 minutes (batter will be very thin).
- Pour into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool. Lightly dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 139 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 174mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Light Chocolate Cake in Country Woman May/June 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.