Light Chocolate Cake
Applesauce makes this cake moist and sweet. A dusting of confectioners' sugar over the top is all that's needed.—Celeste Clarke, Wilmot, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup egg substitute (equivalent to 2 eggs)
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Beat in egg substitute, milk, applesauce and vanilla. Add water; beat on medium for 2 minutes (batter will be very thin).
- Pour into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool. Lightly dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 139 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 174mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Light Chocolate Cake in Country Woman May/June 1996