Light Chicken Kiev Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried thyme, parsley flakes and crushed dried rosemary
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1. Combine the butter, thyme, parsley and rosemary; shape into two cubes. Cover and freeze until firm, about 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. In another shallow bowl, lightly whisk egg white. In a third bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and paprika.
- 3. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Place a butter cube on the center of each. Roll up and tuck in ends; secure with toothpicks. Coat chicken with flour mixture, dip in egg white, then roll in crumb mixture.
- 4. Place seam side down in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Discard toothpicks before serving. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 231 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 315mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 starch.