Margaret Balley of Coffeeville, Mississippi shares her flavorful recipe for Light Chicken Kabobs. "They're easy to make ahead and grill in less than 30 minutes," raves Margaret.
Recommended: 50+ Brilliant Recipes for Food on a Stick
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 large green peppers, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 2 large onions, cut into 18 wedges
- 18 medium fresh mushrooms
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) low-fat Italian salad dressing
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Cut each chicken breast half into three lengthwise strips. Place the chicken in a large resealable plastic bag. Place the green peppers, onions and mushrooms in another large resealable plastic bag.
- In a bowl, combine the salad dressing, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice. Remove 1/3 cup; cover and refrigerate. Divide the remaining salad dressing mixture between the chicken and the vegetables; seal both bags and turn to coat. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken and vegetables. Alternately thread chicken and vegetables on 18 metal or soaked wooden skewers. Grill over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until chicken juices run clear, turning and basting with reserved marinade occasionally. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Light Chicken Kabobs in Taste of Home June/July 1994, p44