Light Black Forest Dessert
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2 cups cherry juice blend
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (1.4 ounces) sugar-free instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 can (20 ounces) reduced-sugar cherry pie filling
- 1-1/2 cups frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- In a large bowl, beat the cherry juice, sugar, applesauce, oil, eggs, vinegar and vanilla until well blended.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into cherry juice mixture until blended.
- Pour into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Frost top of cake with pudding. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Top with pie filling. Chill until serving. Serve with whipped topping.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 186 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 272mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
May 27, 2014
I like this cake because it is dense and very satisfying. In other reviews, people say it's too sweet. Mine wasn't because I used cherry juice without added sugars, which made me have to add 4 packets of stevia. I used extra cocoa and added extra juice to thin the batter a bit
Feb 6, 2014
Going to try this with half Stevia, half cup of cocoa and Blueberry Pie Filling. Guess it worth a try??.....LOL
Jan 30, 2014
Any one tried making it with less sugar!!!??????????
Jan 30, 2014
OMG way too much sugar. How good is this for someone on a diet........how good is this for someone not on a diet. The applesauce doesn't make it guilt free.
Nov 19, 2012
Moist and delicious. Would make it again.My family loved it.
Nov 17, 2012
Too much sugar for it to be healthy. Why not put the sugar grams in the nutritional info?
Nov 15, 2012
Quick and easy -everyone loved itI topped it with whipped topping stars, and chocolate sprinkles
Jan 30, 2012
wonderful recipe, I changed the cocoa to dark and oops today I had to make ganache, no pudding for a light version. I have made this cake a few times and will keep this recipe. I will probably use apple filling and blueberry filling at other times.
Jan 30, 2012
wonderful recipe, I changed the cocoa to dark and oops today I had to make ganache, no pudding for a light version. I have ade this cake a few times and will keep this recipe. I will probably use apple filling and blueberry filling at other times.
Jan 3, 2012
I made this cake quite some time ago, but now knowing what the consistancy was like was supposed to be like, I gave some to my Granddaughter who had tasted a Black Forest cake before and she said is was as good as what she eaten before. Now that the holidays are over I am going to try to make is again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.