VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup club soda, chilled
- Butter and maple syrup, optional
- Separate eggs. Place egg whites in a clean, dry bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- In another bowl, whisk together next five ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, milk, oil, vanilla and vinegar until blended. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar; continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Preheat waffle maker. Stir together flour mixture, egg mixture and club soda just until combined. Fold egg whites into batter. Bake waffles according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown. Serve with butter and maple syrup if desired. Yield: 12 waffles.
Originally published as Light and Fluffy Waffles in Taste of Home September/October 2017