Light and Fluffy Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
This fluffy and light treat from my mother is a nice variation of traditional pumpkin pie. The spices aren't overwhelming so it appeals to all.—Jane Bradford, Decatur, Alabama
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, separated
- 1-1/4 cups canned pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Whipped topping
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over orange juice; let stand for 1 minute. Heat over low heat stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in the brown sugar, milk and pie spice. Cook and stir over medium heat until brown sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over low heat for 3 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened and a thermometer reads 160° (do not boil). Remove from the heat; whisk in pumpkin. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine egg whites and sugar over low heat. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed over low heat until mixture reaches 160°. Remove from the heat. Add vanilla; beat on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into pumpkin mixture. Spoon into pie shell. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until set. Serve with whipped topping.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 273 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 144mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Pumpkin Chiffon Pie in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.