Lentil Vegetable Stew
This is a great slow-cooking stew. I love to make it in the fall on cool days.—Chris Moyers, Felton, California
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 40 min.
- 2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (48 ounces) tomato or vegetable juice
- 4 cups water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Salt to taste
- In a 6-qt. Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine first 15 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until rice and lentils are tender. Add additional water or tomato juice if necessary.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.
Originally published as Lentil Vegetable Stew in Country Woman January/February 1992
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.