- 1/2 cup lentils, rinsed
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) spicy tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- In a saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the potato, tomato, carrot and celery; simmer 30 minutes longer or until rice and vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forLentil Vegetable Soup
"I love lentil soups and this turned out to be no different. I adapted this recipe to our taste though. I skipped the soy sauce and V8 juice. I added 1 can diced tomatoes, some black pepper powder, and thyme. Delicious!!"
"I made "this" soup as well. I added more vegetables. Cabbage, parsnips, extra carrots and celery. Spices I added were chili powder and basil, s and p. I couldn't see it turning out very well, being that the only spice was soy sauce. I also added a half a can of green chilis we had in the fridge. We shall see.... I gave it five stars because it taught me how to add brown rice and lentils to a soup without ruining the vegetables."
"This is a nice one-dish meal, full of a complete protein (from the lentils and brown rice together), vegetables, and fiber. I spice it up with a few generous dashes of dried parsley, sage, thyme, rosemary, and garlic powder. The end result is delicious and my kids love it."