Lentil Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 65 min.
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) spicy hot V8 juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium tomato, cubed
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the potato, tomato, carrot and celery; cover and simmer 30 minutes longer or until rice and vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 195 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1144mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jan 20, 2014
I love lentil soups and this turned out to be no different. I adapted this recipe to our taste though. I skipped the soy sauce and V8 juice. I added 1 can diced tomatoes, some black pepper powder, and thyme. Delicious!!
Oct 9, 2013
I made "this" soup as well. I added more vegetables. Cabbage, parsnips, extra carrots and celery. Spices I added were chili powder and basil, s and p. I couldn't see it turning out very well, being that the only spice was soy sauce. I also added a half a can of green chilis we had in the fridge. We shall see.... I gave it five stars because it taught me how to add brown rice and lentils to a soup without ruining the vegetables.
Mar 12, 2011
This is a nice one-dish meal, full of a complete protein (from the lentils and brown rice together), vegetables, and fiber. I spice it up with a few generous dashes of dried parsley, sage, thyme, rosemary, and garlic powder. The end result is delicious and my kids love it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.