- 4-1/2 cups water
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, carrots, onion and lentils; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables and lentils are tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forLentil-Tomato Soup
"Delicious soup, and a great one for my vegetarian family and friends. I added 8 oz. of fresh mushrooms, sliced, along with the carrots, onion and lentils. I didn't include the vinegar, but it tasted fine without it. This soup is a good way to use some of the herbs I grew and dried this summer. The soup is thick and filling."
"One of my absolute favorite soups--I always add the kale, and I use jalapeno sausage as well."
"Followed recipe except used fresh tarragon and thyme. Didn't really measure it. The thyme flavor was distinctive, but I grew to love it. I accidentally boiled it a little too long at first, bit not a problem. Great healthy recipe. Want to share with friends"
"I omitted the dill weed. It was so delicious! Even my 14-month-old son gobbled it up!~ Theresa"
"<p>I liked it, but my husband didn't really care for something he just couldn't put his finger on. My kids won't eat it, so unfortunately, I probably won't make it again."
"With Kale and Sausage this a new family favorite. Thanks for the recipe!"
"This is one of the best soups I have ever had! And I love that it's Vegan and I can make it for my friends."
"Very good recipe; very different flavors that worked out really well, and it was a good use of lentils. However, I found the soup wayyy too sweet; I will definitely use less brown sugar next time."
"I made this soup per the original recipe (unlike so many others who rated it). I would make it again with changes: chicken or beef broth instead of water, fresh garlic, no brown sugar (too sweet), maybe some rotel (tomatoes and peppers) instead of the tomato paste. There just wasn't a satisfying depth of flavor in the original recipe."