Lentil Sweet Potato Curry
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- In a small saucepan, combine lentils and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add carrots and garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in the sweet potatoes, curry, salt, pepper and remaining water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, apple and brown sugar; cover and cook 10-15 minutes longer or until apple is tender. Stir in lentils; heat through. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 333 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 325mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 15g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 17, 2013
This was a good recipe. I don't eat a lot of curries or lentils, but wanted to give them a try. I liked it enough to make it every couple of months or so.
Oct 7, 2011
This was so filling I didn't serve it with rice. This dish is so healthy and tasty it makes you feel wonderful after you eat it. I am making it again today!
Aug 17, 2011
I used what I had on hand, and used only 1 sweet potato. My subs were plums instead of apples, coconut palm sugar instead of brown sugar, no onions and no rice. IT WAS DELICIOUS. The plums tasted amazing!!
Mar 14, 2011
I used two large sweet potatoes because that’s what I had available. Increased the brown sugar to ¼ cup, added a second apple and a third carrot. In addition to the two tomatoes, I also added a can of crushed tomatoes with green chilies. Great taste, would definitely make again!
Feb 10, 2011
This dish was surprisingly delicious! My only suggestion would be to add some additional water to the sweet potato mixture (beyond the 1 cup). It could have used a bit more curry sauce, especially when served with the rice, and a bit more water would have provided that without detracting from the flavor.