Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
Makesabout 8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2-1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- In a large saucepan, bring lentils and chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil; add to saucepan. Add the tomatoes, carrots, thyme and marjoram. Cook 30 minutes longer or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 142 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 712mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 9g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 18, 2014
Feb 26, 2012
As previously reviewed this is a very nice recipe. A good soup recipe to throw together on a cold northeast night. I did not have fresh tomatoes on hand so I used a can 14.5 oz of diced tomatoes, which I drained. Again a very nice, tasty recipe.
Oct 17, 2011
This was so easy to make and had great flavor