Lentil Soup with Sausage
Chunks of smoked kielbasa, lentils and veggies—they all add up to one satisfying soup! A side dish is definitely optional. —Pearl Harden, Jamestown, CA
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/4 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Remove casings from sausage; cut sausage into 1/2-in. slices. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage, carrots, celery, onion and garlic in batches; cook and stir until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add broth, water, lentils and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until lentils are almost tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15 minutes or until lentils are tender. Remove bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 263 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 795mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 9g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Lentil Soup with Sausage in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016