Lentil Soup for the Soul
You'll never miss the meat when you serve this wonderful meal-in-a-bowl from Athena Russell of Florence, South Carolina. Rich and satisfying, it simmers with the hefty goodness of root vegetables and cilantro.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/3 cup chopped peeled parsnip
- 1/3 cup diced peeled potato
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped leek (white portion only)
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 cup no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or additional vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, saute the parsnip, potato, onions, leek, carrot and celery in oil for 3 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, lentils, wine, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Just before serving, discard bay leaf; stir in cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 183 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 631mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 9g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Lentil Soup for the Soul in Cooking for 2 Winter 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.