Lentil Sausage Soup
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 13 cups water
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cans (one 15 ounces, one 8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2-1/2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
- Crumble sausage into a nonstick skillet. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine water, carrots, celery, onion powder, oregano, garlic powder, basil, seasoning salt and pepper. Add lentils and rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes or until lentils and rice are tender.
- Stir in tomato sauce; return to a boil. Add tortellini and sausage. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until tortellini are tender, stirring several times.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 270 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 651mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 11g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Dec 20, 2011
A very hearty soup recipe that was also very easy to make. The lentils help make a very filling soup that tastes really good. Makes quite a bit, so I will freeze some for other meals. Will definately make again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.