You can have your comfort food and nutrition, too, when you stir up Sandy Starks' scrumptious stew. "We love this dish!" she writes from Amherst, New York. "Filled with wholesome barley, it's hearty and satisfying and tastes even better the next day.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups V8 juice
- 2-1/2 cups chopped seeded plum tomatoes (about 8)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Add the V8 juice, tomatoes, water, lentils, barley and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add carrot; cook 10 minutes longer or until barley and lentils are tender. If desired, stir in additional water for a thinner stew. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Lentil Barley Stew in Light & Tasty October/November 2002, p62