Lentil and Brown Rice Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 2 quarts water
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine all ingredients except vinegar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-45 minutes or until lentils and rice are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 78 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 624mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 26, 2018
Very good soup, hearty and filling. I made a half recipe since I didn't want too much leftover. Included the whole can of tomatoes and substituted 4 oz. can of mushrooms (drained
Jan 9, 2016
It was really good. great when you are trying to lose weight and eat healthier
Feb 25, 2012
I forgot to add- the leftovers get very thick, so I add some water while re-heating. Just eyeball the amount by how thick you like it.
Feb 25, 2012
One of my husbands favorites. I add a pound or so of browned sausage, and make my own onion soup mix to avoid the garbage found in pre-packaged ones. My kids like this with a dollop of sour cream and some shredded cheddar cheese.
Feb 7, 2011
This taste fabulous even though it's so nutritious and it warms you heart and soul! It was a requested recipe when I took it to a "souper" bowl party.