Lentil and Brown Rice Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 2 quarts water
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine all ingredients except vinegar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-45 minutes or until lentils and rice are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 78 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 624mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Nov 26, 2018
Very good soup, hearty and filling. I made a half recipe since I didn't want too much leftover. Included the whole can of tomatoes and substituted 4 oz. can of mushrooms (drained
Jan 9, 2016
It was really good. great when you are trying to lose weight and eat healthier
Feb 25, 2012
I forgot to add- the leftovers get very thick, so I add some water while re-heating. Just eyeball the amount by how thick you like it.
Feb 25, 2012
One of my husbands favorites. I add a pound or so of browned sausage, and make my own onion soup mix to avoid the garbage found in pre-packaged ones. My kids like this with a dollop of sour cream and some shredded cheddar cheese.
Feb 7, 2011
This taste fabulous even though it's so nutritious and it warms you heart and soul! It was a requested recipe when I took it to a "souper" bowl party.