Lemony Vegetable Barley Salad
My husband, Daniel is a big eater who likes generous portions. So I look for hearty dishes that satisfy. This salad does just that.—Linda McLyman, Syracuse, New York
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 cup cut fresh green beans
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh broccoli
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet yellow pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cook barley according to package directions; drain and cool completely. Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the carrot, celery, broccoli, spinach, onion, tomato, yellow pepper, mushrooms, barley and beans. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 178 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 272mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 7g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Barley Summer Salad in Light & Tasty June/July 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.