I’ve made this cool, fruity dessert so many times, my old recipe card is practically unreadable! For a tangy variation, mix a package of lemon and lime gelatin together.—Barbara Estabrook, Rhinelander, Wisconsin
Recommended: Top 10 Trifle Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) crushed pineapple
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) lemon gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups cold water
- 4 medium firm bananas, chopped
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, walnuts and brown sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, drain pineapple, reserving juice for topping. Set pineapple aside. In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water; stir in cold water. Refrigerate until thickened, about 1 hour. Fold in the bananas, marshmallows and reserved pineapple. Spoon over crust. Refrigerate until firm, about 45 minutes.
- For topping, combine reserved pineapple juice and enough water to measure 1 cup. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, flour and pineapple juice mixture until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into eggs. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a small bowl; cool completely. Fold in whipped cream. Spread over gelatin layer. Refrigerate until chilled. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Lemony Tropic Layered Dessert in Country Woman April/May 2010, p42
Reviews forLemony Tropic Layered Dessert
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 11, 2014
"This is just to cancel the one star from a person who actually rated a dessert based on the fact that it was not low fat."
Reviewed Jan. 25, 2014
"not low fat!"