Lemony Sprouts Salad
I'M ACTIVE in co-op Extension work with the university and came home with this recipe, which was presented in a lesson on low-sugar and low-fat recipes. It makes an attractive dish for taking to a potluck. The lemony dressing makes it different and distinctive. -Ruth Hastings, Louisville, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min.
- 1/2 pound brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 tablespoon chopped sweet red pepper
- Place brussels sprouts and 1 in. of water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse with cold water; drain and set aside. In a small skillet, saute carrots in oil until tender; remove from the heat. Toss sprouts with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Place lettuce in a bowl; top with sprouts, carrots and red pepper. Refrigerate for 1 hour.