Lemony Sprouts Salad
I'M ACTIVE in co-op Extension work with the university and came home with this recipe, which was presented in a lesson on low-sugar and low-fat recipes. It makes an attractive dish for taking to a potluck. The lemony dressing makes it different and distinctive. -Ruth Hastings, Louisville, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min.
- 1/2 pound brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 tablespoon chopped sweet red pepper
- Place brussels sprouts and 1 in. of water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse with cold water; drain and set aside. In a small skillet, saute carrots in oil until tender; remove from the heat. Toss sprouts with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Place lettuce in a bowl; top with sprouts, carrots and red pepper. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 125 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 350mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Lemony Sprouts Salad in Reminisce Extra February 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.