Lemony Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Breasts for Two
“This is really easy to make and guests are always impressed. I usually serve this dish with couscous, rice or garlic mashed potatoes along with a vegetable saute or tossed salad.” Pam Nelson — Beaverton, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1-1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- In a small skillet, cook onion in 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until onion is golden brown, stirring frequently. Add the spinach, garlic and vinegar; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese, lemon peel, salt and pepper.
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread spinach mixture over chicken. Roll up and secure with toothpicks.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in remaining oil for 8-10 minutes on each side or until chicken juices run clear. Discard toothpicks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 252 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 334mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 37g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Feta, Spinach and Caramelized Onion Stuffed Chicken Breast in Healthy Cooking October/November 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.