I needed to be gluten free, and when I wanted something fast and easy that tasted like lemon bars, I came up with this idea—and it worked! The lemon flavor is light, fresh and natural, and the best part is that you can make this mix and eat it right away! —Patricia Sensenich, Olanthe, Kansas
Recommended: 15 After-School Snacks Kids Will Love
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 cups Rice Chex
- 4 cups Corn Chex
- 1-1/2 cups white baking chips
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup yellow coarse sugar, optional
- Place cereals in a large bowl. In top of a double boiler or a metal bowl over hot water, melt baking chips with lemon peel and juice; stir until smooth. Stir in butter until blended.
- Pour over cereal; toss to coat. Add confectioners' sugar and, if desired, coarse sugar; toss to coat. Spread onto waxed paper to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2-3/4 quarts.
Originally published as Lemony Snack Mix in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2018