Lemony Nut Rolls
My grandmother had these light, lemon rolls waiting for the men when they came in from working the fields on our farm. They're still a favorite with our family today.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the potatoes, milk, sugar, shortening, egg, lemon juice and zest, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 16x12-in. rectangle. Brush with butter to within 1/2 in. of edges. Combine the sugar, pecans and lemon peel; sprinkle over dough. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 16 rolls. Place cut side up in two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Combine frosting ingredients; spread over warm rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 246 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 172mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Lemony Nut Rolls in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2006