Lemony Marinated Vegetables
MAKING this salad was a good way to ensure that my daughters and other picky eaters would eat - and enjoy - their vegetables. I prepare it for picnics, simple buffets and the holidays. It's so colorful and tasty. -Helen Vail, Glenside, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 cup fresh brussels sprouts
- 1/2 pound carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 cups cauliflowerets
- 1-1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lemon peel strip, 2-1/2 inches x 1/2 inch
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- Place brussels sprouts and carrots in a large saucepan; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cook for 3 minutes. Add cauliflower and broccoli; return to boil. Cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Rinse in cold water; drain. In a large bowl, combine lemon juice, oil, parsley, garlic, lemon peel, oregano, basil, salt if desired and pepper. Add cooked vegetables and the tomatoes; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours. Discard lemon peel.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 50 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 39mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable.
Originally published as Lemony Marinated Vegetables in Reminisce September/October 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.