Lemony Fruit Salad
When I was a teenager, I did all the cooking for my family of 10. I came up with this recipe when I was partway through making a different salad and discovered I didn't have all the ingredients.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + Cook: 5 min. + chilling
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 4 medium apples, diced
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- For dressing, combine the sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel and poppy seeds in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, oranges, carrot and raisins. Add dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours. Serve in a lettuce-lined bowl if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 125 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Lemony Fruit Salad in Country Extra May 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.