Lemony Fruit Salad
When I was a teenager, I did all the cooking for my family of 10. I came up with this recipe when I was partway through making a different salad and discovered I didn't have all the ingredients.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + Cook: 5 min. + chilling
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 4 medium apples, diced
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- For dressing, combine the sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel and poppy seeds in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, oranges, carrot and raisins. Add dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours. Serve in a lettuce-lined bowl if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 125 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Lemony Fruit Salad in Country Extra May 2005