Lemony Fennel Olives
When spring arrives, I like to prepare recipes with fresh flavor. This make-ahead dish can be served as an appetizer alongside crackers or as a condiment for a meat entree.—Lorraine Caland, Thunder Bay, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 small fennel bulb
- 2 cups pitted ripe olives
- 1 small lemon, cut into wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Trim fennel bulb and cut into wedges. Snip feathery fronds; reserve 2 teaspoons. In a small saucepan, bring salted water to a boil. Add fennel. Boil, uncovered, for 1 minute or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- In a large bowl, combine the fennel, olives, lemon wedges, peppercorns and reserved fennel fronds. Whisk oil and lemon juice; pour over olive mixture. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 1 hour before serving. Transfer to a serving bowl; serve with a slotted spoon.