Lemony Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups uncooked medium egg noodles
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1. In a small saucepan, saute onion in oil and butter until tender. Add chicken; cook and stir until chicken is lightly browned and meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the broth, carrot, peas and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the noodles. Cover and simmer until noodles are tender, 8-10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice.
1 cup: 435 calories, 23g fat (6g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 949mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Sep 7, 2014
I've been making this soup for years, and it's always a hit. The brightness of the lemon only makes a classic even better!