Lemony Apple Dumplings
The first time I made this recipe, I was serving guests who had two little daughters. The girls weren't sure about eating a dessert that looked so different. But after just one bite, they proclaimed the treat "yummy" and cleaned their plates. The smooth lemon sauce adds a bit of zip. -Kristy Deloach, Baker, Louisiana
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold whole milk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 medium baking apples, peeled and cored
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Combine flour and 1 teaspoon salt. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in milk until pastry forms a ball; set aside. Stir brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and remaining salt to form a paste. Divide and press into center of each apple; pat any extra filling on outside of apples.
- On a floured surface, roll pastry into a 14-in. square. Cut into four 7-in. squares. Place one apple in center of each square. Brush edges of pastry with egg white. Fold up corners to center; pinch to seal.
- Place in a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in water. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in remaining ingredients until smooth. Serve warm over warm dumplings.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 756 calories, 34g fat (15g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 1018mg sodium, 108g carbohydrate (66g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Lemony Apple Dumplings in Taste of Home August/September 1994
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.