Lemony Acorn Slices
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 large acorn squash (about 2-1/4 pounds each)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Lemon wedges and fresh mint, optional
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove and discard the seeds and membrane. Cut each half widthwise into 1/2-in. slices; discard ends. Place slices in a large skillet. Add 1 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, combine sugar and remaining water. Cook over medium heat until sugar melts and syrup is golden, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; carefully add the lemon juice, butter, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over low heat until butter melts. Place squash on a serving plate; top with syrup. Garnish with lemon and mint if desired.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 219 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 128mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 5g fiber), 3g protein.
Jan 5, 2017
Lemon sauce was nice, but we didn't like the texture of the squash. We love acorn squash, but the texture was a little weird to us like this.
Oct 6, 2014
Nice recipe. I only made half, with one acorn squash. I would have liked a little more sauce, but the lemony flavor is a nice change from the usual brown sugar glaze.
Jan 25, 2012
I've been making this since I found it in the magazine. We love it just as it is! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Jan 2, 2011
I only used 1 Acorn squash as I made it for the two of us. However, I accidentally only put in half the amount of sugar as I initially was going to make half the amount of sauce, but ended up putting the full amount of all the other ingredients. It was more 'lemony' than a sweet lemon taste but perfect for our taste buds.
Nov 8, 2010
Made a 1/4 recipe because my acorn squash was only 1.25 pounds. It needed more syrup/sauce, but tasted good. We, too, ate the peel (extra fiber) because it was good.
Aug 7, 2010
This was awesome!! Everyone in my family loved it. We even ate the peeling. I highly recommend this!! Thanks for sharing!