Lemon-Yogurt Tea Cakes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makesabout 1 dozen
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free plain yogurt
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk the yogurt, egg whites, lemon juice, zest and extract; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 tea cake: 232 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 255mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 22, 2017
These lemon muffins are absolutely delicious and some of the best I've ever made! I used Greek yogurt and ended up with 14 light and tender muffins. My husband especially liked the delicate lemon flavor!
Mar 1, 2015
Love the lemon tea cakes. These will be perfect for Easter Brunch. I will definitely make these lemon tea cakes again. They were delicious; batter was a bit thick. You can also try this with oranges .
May 18, 2014
Light, tender with just the right amount of lemon
Apr 5, 2014
Can these be made with Greek yogurt?
Aug 6, 2013
I love this recipe and have been making these muffins for years. One of my favorites!
Apr 7, 2013
These are delicious! The batter was quite thick, so I didn't know what to expect. But they turned out very light, spongy, and tasty! They have just the right amount of lemon flavor.
Jun 8, 2011
Simply lovely, light, and delicate.
Jun 7, 2011
It was good, but I did add almost 12ozs of yogurt and alot of lemon juice to get it to taste like lemon, grated lemon peel was nice.
Jun 6, 2011
Not too sweet, pleasant lemony taste. Good any time of day.
Jun 6, 2011
These tea cakes were great! We loved the crunchy top. The only change I would make is to add more lemon because you can barely taste the lemon flavor.