- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free plain yogurt
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk the yogurt, egg whites, lemon juice, peel and extract; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: about 1 dozen.
Reviews forLemon-Yogurt Tea Cakes
"These lemon muffins are absolutely delicious and some of the best I've ever made! I used Greek yogurt and ended up with 14 light and tender muffins. My husband especially liked the delicate lemon flavor!"
"Love the lemon tea cakes. These will be perfect for Easter Brunch. I will definitely make these lemon tea cakes again. They were delicious; batter was a bit thick. You can also try this with oranges ."
"Light, tender with just the right amount of lemon"
"Can these be made with Greek yogurt?"
"I love this recipe and have been making these muffins for years. One of my favorites!"
"These are delicious! The batter was quite thick, so I didn't know what to expect. But they turned out very light, spongy, and tasty! They have just the right amount of lemon flavor."
"Simply lovely, light, and delicate."
"It was good, but I did add almost 12ozs of yogurt and alot of lemon juice to get it to taste like lemon, grated lemon peel was nice."
"Not too sweet, pleasant lemony taste. Good any time of day."
"These tea cakes were great! We loved the crunchy top. The only change I would make is to add more lemon because you can barely taste the lemon flavor."