- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups fresh raspberries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Heavy whipping cream and additional raspberries, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Place raspberries in an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. shallow baking dish; pour hot sauce over top. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven; set aside.
- For whirligigs, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Combine egg and half-and-half; stir into crumb mixture to form a stiff dough.
- Shape into a ball. On a lightly floured surface. roll out into a 12-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Combine the sugar, butter and lemon peel; spread over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up, jelly roll style, starting at a long side. Cut into 10 slices; pat each slice slightly to flatten. Place of berry mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15 minutes or until whirligigs are golden. Garnish servings with cream and raspberries if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forLemon Whirligigs with Raspberries
"Delicate, wonderful flavor and texture. Something you might find at teatime at a fancy New York City hotel. Not too delicate to be my 22 year old grandson's favorite dessert!"
"I saw this recipe in the June/July 96 issue of TOH and thought that someday, I'd make it. Three years later, Imet my husband and I found out that he loved raspberries but I still didn't make it. I made this last night and he took some to work and told me it was the best desssert and wished he had more. I used frozen raspberries that I picked and froze a year ago. Just asgood as fresh."