VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/4 cups egg whites (about 9 large)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon peel
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. Sift flour and confectioners' sugar together twice.
- Add lemon juice, cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form. Beat in thyme and lemon peel. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently transfer to an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest oven rack 30-35 minutes or until top crust is golden brown and cracks feel dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely in pan, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Lemon-Thyme Angel Food Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2016, p149