Lemon Tea Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks until light and lemon colored, about 3 minutes. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Fold in yolks. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with lemon juice and zest, stirring just until combined. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Fill greased or paper-lined miniature muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over muffins. Bake at 350° for 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 155 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Aug 9, 2013
I was very pleased with the appearance of these muffins- mine looked better than the picture, very nicely rounded tops. But I thought they were pretty bland and not really worth the effort, especially since the recipe is a bit time consuming with beating the egg yolks and whites separately and folding into the batter. The lemon taste wasn't very prominent either.
Mar 14, 2013
My husband and I were disappointed with these muffins. I used Stevia, might be better with sugar.
Feb 3, 2013
These are wonderful. Lovely fluffy texture. I used Meyer lemons and added more zest & juice, they came out very tangy and flavorful. Everyone loved them although they were a bit too lemony for the kids. (That was because of my adjustment.) I also didn't realize they were minis so I got 8 large ones. Next time I'll do minis for sure. I blogged them here.
Feb 7, 2012
I liked these quite a lot. My family isn't very into lemon flavors, but I had my friends try it and they liked it. One commented that it was just a bit too dry, but I'm not sure how to fix that. I think they would be perfect for a tea party or a girly get together.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.