Lemon Swirl Coffee Cake
My husband and I enjoy visiting homebound persons and always take them goodies, including this coffee cake. It isn’t overly sweet, so even those without a sweet tooth give it rave reviews. —Loraine Meyer, Bend, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 4 to 6 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk and water. Add butter, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla, salt, nutmeg and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and lemon zest. Stir dough down. Spoon a third of dough into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Sprinkle with half of sugar mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, butter, lemon zest and enough lemon juice to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over cake. Serve warm.