Lemon Swirl Coffee Cake
My husband and I enjoy visiting homebound persons and always take them goodies, including this coffee cake. It isn’t overly sweet, so even those without a sweet tooth give it rave reviews. —Loraine Meyer, Bend, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 4 to 6 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk and water. Add butter, sugar, lemon peel, vanilla, salt, nutmeg and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and lemon peel. Stir dough down. Spoon a third of dough into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Sprinkle with half of sugar mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, butter, lemon peel and enough lemon juice to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over cake. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 363 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 254mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Swirl Bundt Coffee Cake in Country Woman Christmas 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.