Lemon Surprise Pound Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups shredded yellow summer squash
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon zest. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Beat just until combined. Fold in squash.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 411 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 117mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 27, 2011
Baked 65 min at 355 - tested done, is more like bread pudding. It never did rise well. A confectioners sugar - lemon juice glaze gave it more flavor. Not sure if I'll try again or not.