I made this cake when I had an abundance of squash and wanted to try something different. It is delicious and no one knows there is squash in the cake.—Leigh Pomerleau, Holly Springs, North Carolina
Recommended: 21 Easter Cake Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups shredded yellow summer squash
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon peel. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Beat just until combined. Fold in squash.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Surprise Pound Cake in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2008, p58
Reviews forLemon Surprise Pound Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 27, 2011
"Baked 65 min at 355 - tested done, is more like bread pudding. It never did rise well. A confectioners sugar - lemon juice glaze gave it more flavor. Not sure if I'll try again or not."