Lemon Strawberry Shortcake
Add lemon peel to the shortcake batter and the butter to give traditional shortcake a bit of zip. That extra flavor burst puts this shortcake recipe over the top! — Nancy Hooper, Glen Burnie, Maryland
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- LEMON BUTTER:
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries and sugar; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In another large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the milk, egg yolk and lemon zest; stir into crumb mixture until a soft dough forms (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 10 times. Divide dough into 4 pieces. Gently pat or roll each portion into a 3/4-in.-thick circle. Place 2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack; cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine butter and lemon zest; set aside. In another small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble, split shortcakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates; spread with lemon butter. Top with half of the strawberries and whipped cream. Replace shortcake tops; top with remaining berries and cream.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 698 calories, 35g fat (21g saturated fat), 204mg cholesterol, 451mg sodium, 87g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Strawberry Lemon Shortcake in The Taste of Home Cookbook 3rd Edition