Lemon Spritz Recipe
My mother made the yummy tinted cookies at Christmastime, and she always baked a big batch. My sister, brothers and I had lots of fun decorating them with colored sprinkles...and sampling them, too!
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Food coloring, optional
- Nonpareils and colored sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the shortening, cream cheese and sugar. Beat in egg yolk, vanilla and lemon peel. Combine the flour, salt and cinnamon; gradually add to creamed mixture. Beat in food coloring if desired. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. Using a cookie press fitted with the disk of your choice, press dough 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with nonpareils and colored sugar if desired. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until set (do not brown). Remove to wire racks. Yield: about 9 dozen.
Reviews for Lemon Spritz
Reviewed Dec. 26, 2010
"These were okay. The dough was a bit stiff for my cookie press. I think it needs a little bit of milk added to soften up the dough. The flavor was good. I put frosting on mine as well."
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC