Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
Makesabout 9 dozen
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Food coloring, optional
- Nonpareils and colored sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, cream cheese and sugar. Beat in egg yolk, vanilla and lemon peel. Combine the flour, salt and cinnamon; gradually add to creamed mixture. Beat in food coloring if desired. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Using a cookie press fitted with the disk of your choice, press dough 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with nonpareils and colored sugar if desired. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until set (do not brown). Remove to wire racks.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 6, 2017
I liked the lemon flavor. It added a little interest to spritz cookies
Dec 26, 2010
These were okay. The dough was a bit stiff for my cookie press. I think it needs a little bit of milk added to soften up the dough. The flavor was good. I put frosting on mine as well.